It seems like cauliflower and collard greens are the veggies to watch in 2015, so definitely check out this tasty recipe that uses both. Cauliflower and collard greens are phenomenal sources of vitamin C, so dig in… and feel free to add in some roasted brussels sprouts and onion to the mix if you feel a little daring!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Serves: 2 to 4
- 3/4 lb. gluten-free penne pasta, such as Jovial Brown Rice, Penne Rigate
- 2 tbs virgin olive oil, (and a little for drizzling)
- 1 large minced, shallot
- 1/3 cup Pinot Grigio (or another dry white wine)
- 1 bunch collard greens- remove center ribs, and halve crosswise
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, about 1 lb. cut into medium-sized florets
- 1/2 tsp coarsely grated lemon zest
- a touch of coarse salt
- optional: Parmesan or pecorino cheese, a handful of toasted almonds or walnuts, a handful of roasted brussels sprouts, ¼ onion, ½ potato.
Preheat oven to 450°F, prepare collard greens, shallot, zest and cauliflower.
Place the cauliflower on a rimmed baking, sheet drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a few shakes of salt and pepper. Once oven reaches 450°F, place cauliflower in oven and cook until tender, should take approximately 20 minutes. Stir twice. Remove from oven.
Boil Penne Pasta
Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat salted water until boiling. Cook pasta according to label directions. Drain pasta, but reserve ½-¾ cups of pasta water for later.
In a medium-sized pot, heat 1 tbs olive oil at a medium temperature. Add minced shallot to cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Pour wine into pot and cook for about 5 minutes until it has nearly evaporated. Add collard greens and cook for about 8 minutes or until bright in hue and slightly tender. Stir occasionally. Add the cauliflower, lemon, and cooked pasta to the pot. Cook until both the cauliflower and penne are hot. Continuously stir while adding enough of reserve pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. This should take about 4 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with oil.
Serve and enjoy!